We begin our walk from Bliska Street in Kamionek. It was originally a road to the village of Kamion, and it gained its current name in the 19th century. At 23 Bliska St. there is a mural painted on the gable wall of the tenement in July 2014 as part of the Street Art Doping 2015 festival. This festival is one of the most acclaimed street art events in Poland. The author of the work that can be seen on the tenement is a Chinese artist DALeast. A bird and a cobra painted by him attract street art fans to Kamionek.
Next we head towards Lubelska Street which was laid out in the 19th century. On the [city] plans it was also called Lublińska. In the 1920s, the Polus shoe factory was built at 30/32 Lubelska St. Due to the crisis that the country was facing, the production did not start and the factory building became a shelter for the homeless. After renovation, it will house the Lubelska 30/32 Local Centre. On one of the walls, which is visible from the street, you can see a mural depicting Jan Karski, a diplomat who worked as a courier for the Polish underground government. It was unvailed in 2014. The author of the project is Marcin Malicki “Malik”. The mural was painted in collaboration with young people from Poland, Germany and Israel.
As we pass Skaryszewska Street, we reach Targowa Street – the main thoroughfare of Praga. On the gable walls of the buildings at 14 Targowa Street, there is the longest large-format advertisement we can see in Praga. Built from 1899 to 1902 for Władysław Karszo-Siedlewski, a well-known vodka manufacturer, the tenement house is unique in the whole city. The development surrounds four courtyards. Advertising appeared on the gable walls of the tenement during the communist period. As we go along the even-numbered side of Targowa Street at No. 22, on the gable wall of the outbuilding, we can find another large-format advertisement from the 1970s, which has been entered in the register of movable monuments of Mazowieckie Voivodeship.
Moving to the odd-numbered side of Targowa Street, we get to the tenement house No. 15. Distinguishing itself from other houses on this street, the building was built at the end of the 1920s according to the design of Juliusz Nagórski.
15 Targowa Street was the architect’s own house. In the 1970s, two large-format advertisements – “Foton” and “Jubiler” – were painted on the gable wall, visible from the plot number 11/13. The repainted ‘Foton’ advertisement can now be seen, while the ‘Jubiler’ advertisement is waiting to be exposed again from under the second layer of paint.